Monopoly, Hair Rollers, Sweaters, and Potato Chips turn into profits on eBay

December 6th, 2013

Items to sell on eBay are plentiful! Today I will show you 4 items that I sold very recently, and one from a little while back that many people  thought was ridiculous.  So let’s jump right in.

The first item is a Green Bay Packers Monopoly game that I found at a thrift store for $2.99.  As a Minnesota Vikings fan, it was a little bit difficult to be seen checking out with this item, but it turned into a nice profit.  Here’s the item: Screenshot_2013-12-06-00-52-42After shipping and fees I ended up with a profit of $26.61.  Not bad on a $3 investment, and not to mention that this game was missing one of the monopoly movers and 2 of the houses.  I included all of this in the description, and the buyer has already left positive feedback.

Next up is a set of hair rollers.  I don’t claim to know much about these beyond that they sell for a profit on eBay.  This is also kind of an awkward purchase for a 24 year old guy to make, but I just look at it as dollar signs as opposed to the actual item.  Screenshot_2013-12-06-00-53-00I paid $3.99 for this set, and after shipping and fees made a profit of $7.35.  Shipping was about $14 as this item sold to a buyer in California (about the most expensive place to ship to from Minnesota) so this cut into the profits, but I won’t argue with a nearly 200% return on my investment.

Next up is another Ugly Sweater.  I know I have posted about these once already, but they are easy to find and list.  Here it is: Screenshot_2013-12-06-00-53-15I paid $3.99 for this sweater and afters shipping and fees made a profit of $18.79.  This sweater was a 2XL and sold faster than some of the smaller sizes that I have purchased.  So keep an eye out for 2XL and larger ugly sweaters.

The fourth item, and the second sweater of the day, is a turtleneck  Ralph Lauren sweater.  Take a look: Screenshot_2013-12-06-00-53-49I purchased this item for $4.20, and after shipping and fees made a profit of $12.17.  I included in the description of this item “potential high class ugly sweater” so maybe that helped it sell, or maybe someone just likes wearing turtlenecks.  Either way, it was an easy $12 profit.

The last item for today is one that I sold a few months back.  I sold at least 30 bags of these between eBay and Amazon.  They were the chips from the Lays “Do Us a Flavor” challenge.  The flavors were cheesy garlic bread (the winner), sriracha, and chicken & waffles. They were hard to find at the time, and now discontinued with the exception of the winner.  Some buyers were hooked and willing to pay a premium to get their hands on them.  Take a look at one listing I sold: Screenshot_2013-11-06-16-13-07-updatedThe buyer paid a total of $53.68 for 6 bags of chips, just under $9 a bag!  I was able to find these at Walmart for $2.88 per bag.  After shipping and fees I made a profit of about $16.50 on this order.  Take a look at the feedback I received on this transaction as well, I thought it was kind of funny (click to enlarge):waffles feedbackKeep an eye out for items that are being discontinued.  As can be seen here they can sell for quite a premium over the original list prices.

Hopefully seeing these items gives you some possible ideas for items to sell on eBay, or at least opens your eyes to some of the items that do sell.  If you have any questions or comments please leave them below.  Also, if you have any specific topics you would like me to write a post on, let me know and I will try to make it happen!

Thanks for reading, and have a good weekend!

9 responses to “Monopoly, Hair Rollers, Sweaters, and Potato Chips turn into profits on eBay”

1. Adley says:

Ryan,

Nice sales!! I have still not found any of those special flavor chips. If i do, i’ll be sure to list them asap!

2. Linda says:

Thanks for the post. I would have eaten the chips. LOl

3. Barbara says:

Hi Ryan
    I can’t believe I’m even pondering returning to eBay. Left two years ago, way too much work, especially after getting into clothes. All that measuring and photo taking! Having said that and reading the above, it’s tempting. Can I “assume” you own a store. I didn’t, just did the weekly posting thing which, of course, if they didn’t sell that week, it was all for nothing. FBA is so much easier but it does eliminate a lot of the yard and garage sale stuff, which is so fun. I’m sure eBay has change even more over the last two years. Do you think eBay is worth it if having a store where your items can live for a while?

Hi Barbara,

I do currently have an eBay store and I believe that is what you are referring to in your question, as I do not have a physical store. I currently am focusing the vast majority of my efforts on FBA, but I do think eBay is still a very viable option. Items still sell well there as I did some decent sales numbers on eBay when I was putting more time in there. So, I do think eBay is worthwhile.

Let me know if you have further questions.

• Barbara says:

Thanks Ryan for such a speedy reply. And yes, I was referring to an “eBay store.” I also prefer FBA if just for not having to pack and post, and add the postage price on to item. Here you would offer this great deal at $11 and then had to add $13 for postage(in some instances, always seemed unappealing to me. With AZ free 2-day delivery it seems much more palatable to a buyer, I would think.

BTW,This reply came before another note I sent regarding my forwarding Leo Babauta’s website to you, which site I was referred to by Cynthia Stine, another great and generous mentor like yourself. I’m wondering now if perhaps you did not get it, as it was sent directly from the site. He, like you, did an article on taming monkey mind, reducing use of cellphone, social medial, and email deterrents. He’s very into our self-discipline to make us better at what we do and who we are. I’m pretty sure you would enjoy his writings and I hope this reference to Leo’s site will give back to you for all you do for us!

Hi Barbara,

You are welcome. I completely agree about FBA. I don’t think I received the note about Leo’s website, but I am familiar with it. He has a lot of great info on his blog and I enjoy following along with his challenges!

4. John iii says:

Just curious did you auction these or buy it now?